Master Gardener College Scholarships
Guidelines and Criteria
Virginia Master Gardeners Association (VMGA)
Diane Relf Master Gardener College Scholarships Application Form
VMGA seeks to award scholarships to those master gardeners who through their dedicated efforts of volunteerism toward VCE goals have demonstrated exceptional leadership potential or significant contributions in their respective units. Additional criteria are included on the application form. All VCE Master Gardeners planning to attend MG College 2016 are eligible for these scholarships if they have never been awarded one.
Unit agents/coordinators may nominate no more than two candidates from those who express an interest with no explanation given to the committee as to the process used. The agent or coordinator must submit the application but the applicants may provide details of their service in the process. Suggestions for the nominator might be volunteers who:
- demonstrate potential
- are role models
- are diverse in any category
- have financial need
- exhibit desire to continue to contribute
- are new EMGs with less than 100 hours (interns are not eligible)
Below are some of the traits that describe an extraordinary volunteer.
- Creativity, imagination, and an innovative ability to fill real and perceived voids in unit projects and programs.
- Ability to lead by example and achieve objectives without fanfare.
- Ability to anticipate needs of the unit.
- Ability to contribute on different levels.
- Composed of VMGA members, some of whom have received the scholarship
- Presents recommendations to the Executive Board for final approval
Purpose of the Scholarships
- Assistance for VMGA members to attend MG College 2016
- Further the VMGA goals of providing Continuing Education
- Increase the number of attendees at MG College
- Encourage those members who have demonstrated exceptional potential in their local Units
- VMGA Budget line item
- No recipient may receive more than one scholarship in his/her MG career
- VMGA is free of any personal liability Awardee bears any tax liability.